Cockroaches are some of the most adaptable pests in the world. They can live in all sorts of environments and are extremely hard to eliminate. That’s why, when it comes to your home, you should do everything in your power to prevent cockroaches from ever gaining a foothold.
In addition to being very tenacious, cockroaches are also dangerous to humans. Therefore, if you do think you have a cockroach infestation, you should act immediately to remedy the problem.
To accomplish this, know how to identify area cockroaches, ways to prevent them from entering your home, and the steps you should take should you encounter a cockroach infestation. Your health might depend on it.
Identifying Common Area Cockroaches
Cockroaches have flat, oval-shaped bodies with six legs and two long antennae. With that in mind, let’s take a look at the cockroach species common to the Tulsa area so that you can further identify which species you might be seeing. The most common species found locally are German cockroaches, American cockroaches, and Oriental cockroaches.
- German cockroaches are small and light brown or tan and feature two distinctive black stripes running horizontally behind their heads.
- American cockroaches are very large. In fact, they are the largest species of cockroach in the United States. They are a dark reddish-brown color and feature a yellowish figure-eight pattern behind their head.
- Oriental cockroaches are a shiny black color, and they emit a foul, musty odor, especially as their population grows.
The Dangers Of Cockroaches
The primary reason cockroaches are dangerous is that they spread pathogens, bacteria, viruses, and diseases as they scurry about homes. These diseases, which they pick up outside, then contaminate our countertops, dishes, food, or any other surface with which the roach may come into contact.
In addition to this, cockroaches may trigger asthma or allergies in at-risk people and children. Moreover, they destroy paper products and other household items which can cause monetary damage. There are numerous reasons why you don’t want cockroaches in your home which is why it is so important to know how to prevent them from ever entering into it.
What Attracts Cockroaches Into Homes?
When it comes to preventing cockroaches, it is important to know what attracts them into a home in the first place. More often than not, cockroaches will enter a home because there is easy access to food or water, or maybe even a nice moist area for them to hunker down. In addition to this, roaches love cluttered areas in which they can hide.
Cockroaches most often enter into homes by coming through cracks in the foundation or around windows and doors. They can enter through open areas around pipes or through the gap under a door. Any opening could be an entry point for a cockroach.
Cockroach Prevention Techniques
Knowing why and how cockroaches enter homes goes a long way in preventing them. With that in mind, here are some techniques you can utilize to cut down on your chances of an infestation:
- Store all food in tightly-sealed containers or the refrigerator.
- Wipe up any spills from countertops and floors immediately.
- Refrain from keeping dirty dishes piled in the sink.
- Regularly take out the trash.
- Store trash in tightly-sealed containers.
- Fix any leaky pipes or fixtures.
- Seal any cracks in the foundation or around windows and doors.
- Use door sweeps on exterior doors.
For More Information Or Assistance, Call The Professionals
If you have any questions about pest prevention in Tulsa, or are currently dealing with a cockroach infestation, don’t delay, call the professionals here at Mid America Pest Control right away. Here at Mid America Pest Control, we have the experience and the expertise to eliminate any cockroach presence in your Tulsa home. We also have the knowledge to help you protect your home from future infestations. Give us a call today.