Getting out of bed in the morning isn’t always easy. However, if you start waking up with bed bug bites, you may never want to crawl in bed again. Bed bugs can take a serious toll on your sleep quality and mental health, not to mention how itchy and annoying their bites can be. These pests seem to be popping up everywhere in Pryor, and as a result, homeowners spend hundreds of dollars trying – and failing – to get rid of these insects. If this sounds like you, don’t worry – residents in Pryor, OK have a much cheaper option.
Bed Bug Identification Guide
Before we talk about how you can get rid of bed bugs cheaply and securely, let’s make sure we’re talking about the same pests. Bed bugs are tiny, even for insects. Growing only ⅕ an inch long, bed bugs can fit themselves in the tiniest cracks, making them excruciatingly hard to detect. You are much more likely to see their aftermath, small, raised welts where they bite on your arms and legs.
If you do spot a bed bug, they have reddish-brown bodies that are shaped like apple seeds. Other signs of an infestation include small, 1mm sized eggs, and tiny bloodstains or fecal smears on your sheets.
When faced with a bed bug infestation, many residents try to get rid of the pests using DIY methods. While the attempt to save time and money is admirable, the truth is, Pryor residents probably won’t get rid of these blood-sucking pests on their own.
Why DIY Methods Don’t Work For Bed Bugs
When homeowners realize they have these blood-sucking pests in their home, they often resort to do-it-yourself methods of extermination. People usually do this because they think it will save them time and money, compared to hiring an extermination team to get the job done. Little do they realize, they’re only wasting money on uncertain solutions, which often results in lost time and greater frustration.
Pryor homeowners sometimes try the following, to no avail:
- Baking soda – sprinkle daily around furniture and vacuum. Baking soda reportedly dehydrates bed bugs, but bed bugs can nest all over your house and climb to your bed without touching the baking soda.
- Talcum powder – sprinkle daily and vacuum. This is a similar myth to baking soda, and like baking soda, it doesn’t work. Talcum powder neither dries out bed bugs, nor does it deter them.
- Mothballs – $5-10, place beneath furniture. The idea is that the smell of mothballs will deter bed bugs, but this is a complete myth, and you’re only making your room smell weird in the process.
- Tea tree oil – $10-$20, dilute in water and spray. Tea tree oil is said to kill bed bugs, but that’s only if you use an undiluted form of the expensive substance, and it only works if you spray it directly onto the pests. Moreover, undiluted tea tree oil can be dangerous to humans, so keeping this in your home is ill-advised.
- Ultrasonic waves – $50-$200. The idea behind this expensive treatment is that bugs don’t like ultrasonic sound, so this will clear them out. Many entomologists agree that insects, including bed bugs, aren’t affected by ultrasonic waves whatsoever.
The Best Bed Bug Extermination Plan
If these DIY options don’t work, what will? The best plan of action is to schedule a visit with Mid America Pest Control.
To get rid of bed bugs, we use either a bed bug chemical insecticide, or we use organic fungal spores. Our chemical treatment takes about six hours to take full effect, but after those six hours, your house should be bed bug-free and completely safe for your family and pets.
Or, if you’d prefer a more natural method of extermination, we use organic fungal spores that bed bugs transmit to each other over time. This process takes longer to control the entire population, but it won’t harm your family and is just as effective.
As bed bug experts, we can confirm that DIY methods simply don’t treat the entire population. Our company is dedicated to removing these pervasive pests. Rather than waste money on DIY products that don’t treat the entire bed bug population, Mid America Pest Control’s solutions will save you both time and money.
If you’re waking up to itchy bites on exposed skin, don’t take matters into your own hands. Contact our pest experts today, and our bed bug treatments will bring back the safety of your bed. Mid America Pest Control is standing by to help.