Ants as rule aren't fun for any property owner. They're annoying and some can cause additional problems that make things worse for everyone. One such ant is the dreaded fire ant. This troublesome ant is one that presents a direct threat to people, which makes keeping them off your Tulsa property a top priority when facing an infestation.
In case you're unfamiliar with this ant, the fire ant is bright red in color and boasts a stinger. While small, their sting is powerful. You'll likely find them in or near their colonies, which look like a mound-like nest.
Fire Ants And Their Problems
The fire ant is not a pest to ignore. Much like other stinging insects, this one is quite aggressive when provoked or defending its colony. Fortunately, they're not quite as bad as wasps, but some problems people face with fire ants include:
- Stinger: The sting itself hurts enough to be felt for a while. Plus, each sting leaves behind a raised welt that becomes a white pustule. Not exactly a pleasant encounter for anyone. Plus, unlike bees, the fire ant can sting you repeatedly.
- Multiple Attacks: Fire ants never attack by themselves. They are all about the group and can even signal each other through pheromones. What this means for you is that you'll likely be stung multiple times by multiple ants if you stumble onto their nest.
- Anaphylactic Shock: Some people are allergic to the sting of a fire ant, like with other stinging insects. This reaction can lead to anaphylactic shock. Fortunately, this only happens to about 2% of the population making this possibility rare but important to watch out for.
The Problem Is Bigger Than You
Since it's easy to sight their nest, it must be easy to handle the removal on your own, right? The correct answer is no. In fact, fire ants are quite difficult to remove and neutralize for several reasons. Some of these reasons include:
- Deep Colony: Unlike humans, ants burrow deep into their homes. What you see at the top is only a small part of their colony, which means they can hide from you easily.
- Migration: Fire ants are known to pick up and move to create a new colony site as needed. That's why unless you eliminate the whole colony in one go, you'll fail in your attempts.
- Queen Issues: The queen is usually located in the deepest part of the colony. If you manage to take out the queen, you're in luck. However, so long as the queen remains, you'll face ongoing fire ant problems without professional assistance.
Only with the assistance of a pest control company trained in fire ant removal can you reliably remove this potentially painful from the premises in one shot.
Take Out The Fire Ants With Mid America Pest Control
Effective fire ant removal and prevention requires a concentrated effort with the right equipment and approach. At Mid America Pest Control, our team offers a local understanding of the problems you face while providing professional, reliable services that deliver guaranteed results that ultimately help you gain a completely pest-free home.
We offer a variety of residential pest control services to ensure we match up with your specific needs. Whether you need active help to control an existing infestation or just want to practice solid prevention, we have the service that's perfect for you.
Do you need fire ant prevention services? Then give our team at Mid America Pest Control a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional pest control options or fill out our online form to schedule your quote.